Check out this video from William Craig’s ministry, Reasonable Faith, explaining why God exists using the ontological argument.
Here is the argument:
- God is the greatest conceivable being
- God exists as an idea in the mind
- A being that exists as an idea in the mind and in reality is greater than a being that exists only as an idea in the mind.
- If God exists only as an idea in the mind, but not in reality, then we can imagine something that is greater than God (i.e., a maximally great being that exists both in the mind and in reality).
- But we cannot imagine something that is greater than God since we defined God as the greatest conceivable being
- Therefore, God exists.
This one is a bit of a brain teaser, and it may take some time to sink in, but it’s pretty impressive once you see how it works. What’s more, this argument for God depends on reason alone. This means that someone could intuit God’s existence without access to the outside world.