by Sean Finnegan
What’s the difference between God and Jesus. Many Christians believe they are mysteriously one in being, but what do the scriptures teach? It turns out the bible clearly distinguishes between these two individuals and their attributes preclude their metaphysical oneness. Listen in to hear the evidence for why Jesus is the son of God not God the son.
This lecture was part of a class called “Exploring Scripture.” To access more of this class, Exploring Scripture Class.
Who is God?
- The people meet their God (Deuteronomy 4.32-39; 5.1-10, 22-26)
- The Shema (Deuteronomy 6.4-6, 13-15; Mark 12.28-34)
- Verses that speak of Yahweh as the only true God (2 Samuel 7.22; 2 Kings 19.19; 1 Chronicles 17.20; Nehemiah 9.6; Psalm 86.8-10; 135.5-7; Isaiah 37.16,20; 44.24; 45.5-7, 18, 21-22; 46.9-10; Jeremiah 10.10-16; Zechariah 14.9; Mark 10.18; John 17.3; 1 Corinthians 8.4-6; 1 Timothy 2.5; James 2.19; Jude 24-25)
Who is God?
Are there any other gods besides Yahweh?
How many Yahwehs are there?
Other words we use to refer to Yahweh: God, Father, Savior, Lord, Most High, Almighty, Redeemer, etc.
Why do we call Yahweh Father?
Yahweh had a son
Who is Jesus?
- The birth of the Son of God (Luke 1.31-35)
- The king of the Jews (Matthew 2.1-6)
- Who did his followers think he was? (Mark 8.27-30)
- The Son of Man (Daniel 7.13-14, 18, 22, 27)
- The sacrifice for our sins (1 Corinthians 15.3-4; Galatians 1.4)
- The Lord at the right hand of God (Psalm 110)
Shared Attributes of God and Jesus
- They are both called Lord, Savior, Redeemer, King, Judge, and Rock
- They both forgave sins, loved, will establish the kingdom and judge the world
- We could list many other commonalities between God and Jesus
Chart of the Differences between God and Jesus (slide)
May we worship the same God that Jesus worshiped (John 20.17; Revelation 3.12)